Pete is a shareholder at Martin & Squires with over two decades of experience helping clients achieve their goals in all aspects of real estate development and finance. Pete focuses his practice on banking and real estate finance, including, loan financing, acquisition, development, leasing, and on real estate development and business law. Pete has extensive experience representing lenders and developers on all sides of a real estate transaction, from acquisitions and loan originations to foreclosures and workouts.
Pete earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of St. Thomas. Pete attended Hamline University School of Law where he graduated cum laude and was an editor of the Hamline Law Review. After graduating from law school, Pete worked at Leonard, O’Brien, Spencer, Gale & Sayre, Ltd. for 23 years before joining Martin & Squires.
Pete is admitted to practice law in the State of Minnesota, in the State of Arizona and in the U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota.
When Pete is not practicing law, Pete and his wife like to spend their time cheering on their son and daughter as they play hockey and pursue their dreams. Pete also volunteers his time as a board member on the GA Girls Hockey Booster Club supporting girls’ hockey.
- Represented lenders with preparation of documentation for commercial and residential loan transactions, including construction loans, bridge loans, term loans, land development loans, tax credit equity bridge loans, mezzanine loans, loan modifications, secured revolving lines of credit and loans involving specialized assets such as ground leases, assisted living and senior housing apartment buildings, big box commercial retail development, hotels, restaurants, office buildings, drug stores, grocery stores, multi-family apartment complexes, mixed-use developments, condominiums, office/warehouse facilities, industrial warehouse facilities, SBA 504 loans, bank-qualified bond transactions, and residential land development.
- Represented lenders in loan workout and enforcement of over 400 million dollars of loans including judicial foreclosures, non-judicial foreclosures by advertisement, deeds in lieu of foreclosure, voluntary foreclosures, judgment enforcement, bankruptcy, forbearance agreements, loan modification agreements and related matters.
- Represented developers with negotiation of loan documentation and general development and acquisition matters including senior housing campus developments, big box commercial retail development, restaurants, office buildings, multi-family apartment complex, office/warehouse facilities, industrial warehouse facilities, and residential land development.
- Provide expertise with review and analysis of title evidence, common interest community documentation and plats, survey, construction contracts, corporate and limited liability company documentation and structure, and construction contracts and related documentation.
- Provide expertise with zoning compliance, subdivision of real property, development agreements and similar matters with municipal governments.
- Author/Lecturer, “What Lender’s Counsel Wants the Borrower to Know to Get the Deal Closed”, presented by Minnesota Institute of Legal Education (2002).